Friday, February 13, 2009

Small Things

I've always heard as well as thought about it as a statement or command: Do not despise the day of small things! But today I see it differently. In my understanding, Zechariah was asking a question, kind of rhetorical, but non-the-less it was a question: "For WHO has despised the day of small things?" (Zech 4:10)

I see two sides to this question that we may need reminded of:

1. The first, is the rhetorical side. Certainly God does not despise the day of small things. He knows where he's going with it. He knows how to make things great. What's different is that He sees the great in the things that we cannot (or do not).

In the same way, there are many things that we consider great, that God may despise.

2. The second is the perspective that we are to rejoice in seeing even the plumb line in the hand of God's workers. So let's get back to the question: church planter, missionary, believer, how do we feel about the day of small things? I must confess. I've got a long way to go. How will we lead others to this place if we aren't there ourselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment